At Bernheim Kelley Battista & Bliss, LLC, our Florida breach of non-compete attorneys have the professional skills and legal expertise that you can rely on. With a comprehensive understanding of Florida’s non-compete agreement laws, we are here to protect your rights. If you have any specific questions about breach of non-compete agreement claims, our team will help. For a fully private initial appointment with a top Florida commercial litigation lawyer, please contact us today.
What is a Non-Compete Agreement?
A non-compete agreement (non-compete clause) is a type of restrictive covenant. It is a contract or contract provision through which one party—an employee, independent contractor, etc.—agrees to refrain from directly competing against the other party for a pre-specified period of time. For example, a high-ranking executive employee may agree to avoid working for a competing business for multiple years after their current employment relationship ends. The scope and implications of a non-compete agreement will always depend on the specific terms of the contract.
An Overview of Florida’s Law on Non-Compete Agreements
Non-compete agreements are enforceable in Florida, However, courts do look at all restraints on trade/commerce with a skeptical eye. Non-compete agreements must meet certain strict legal standards in order to be valid. Under Florida Statutes § 542.335, a non-compete contract generally needs to satisfy the following requirements:
- Legitimate Business Interest: It must protect a “legitimate business interest.” Businesses cannot use general non-compete agreements to restrict employees/independent contractors with good reason.
- Reasonable in Scope: It must be reasonable. An overly broad non-compete agreement can be thrown out by a court. A non-compete should have clear and reasonable limits in terms of geography, scope, and duration.
Assuming a non-compete is valid, it can be enforced by a Florida court. If you or your business is involved in a dispute over the alleged breach of a non-compete agreement, we can help. Our South Florida commercial litigation attorneys represent individual professionals and businesses in breach of non-compete agreement cases.
Why Choose Our Florida Breach of Non-Compete Agreement Attorneys
Florida’s non-compete agreement laws are complicated. It is normal to have a lot of questions about the scope and enforceability of a non-compete provision. At Bernheim Kelley Battista & Bliss, LLC, we help individual professionals, businesses, and organizations protect their best interests. More specifically, our Florida breach of non-compete agreement lawyers are ready to:
- Review the non-compete agreement and explain your rights and responsibilities;
- Investigate the matter, gathering all relevant evidence and information;
- Advocate for your best interests in settlement negotiations; and
- Build a customized legal strategy focused on securing the best outcome in your case.
Schedule a Confidential Consultation With a Florida Business Litigation Lawyer
At Bernheim Kelley Battista & Bliss, LLC, our Florida breach of contract attorneys are diligent, solutions-focused advocates for individual professionals and businesses. If you are locked in a dispute over a non-compete agreement, we can help. Give us a call or send us a message to arrange your confidential initial appointment. We handle breach of non-compete cases throughout Florida.