Suffered Hearing Damage After Taking Tepezza? Contact Us Today for a Free Review of Your Case
At Bernheim Kelley Battista, LLC, our Tepezza lawsuit attorneys are committed to delivering real justice and real results for victims and families. Tepezza is a prescription drug that is used to treat Thyroid Eye Disease (TED). Unfortunately, some serious safety questions have been raised about this medication. It has been linked to hearing loss and tinnitus. Victims may be entitled to financial compensation through a hearing loss lawsuit. If you have any specific questions or concerns about a Tepezza lawsuit, we are here to help. To arrange a free, no-obligation initial consultation with a top-rated Florida defective prescription drug attorney, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
What is Tepezza?
As stated simply by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), “Tepezza is a drug for the treatment of thyroid eye disease.” Tepezza is a monoclonal antibody that targets insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF-1R), which is believed to play a key role in the development of TED. Notably, Tepezza is administered by intravenous (IV) infusion over a period of several weeks. It is a prescription drug that must be administered by a qualified medical professional.
What is Thyroid Eye Disease (TED)?
Stanford Medicine explains that Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is “an autoimmune disease that affects the appearance and function of one or both of your eyes.” It is also sometimes referred to as Graves’ ophthalmopathy. Medical researchers believe that TED happens when a person’s immune system mistakenly attacks the tissues around the eyes, causing inflammation and swelling.
In some cases, the symptoms of TED can become severe and lead to vision loss or blindness. That being said, with the proper treatment, most people with TED can manage their symptoms and prevent serious complications. Tepezza has been prescribed to treat and manage TED. However, there are very serious safe questions about this medication.
How Did the Tepezza Lawsuits Come About?
Tepezza is a prescription medication manufactured and sold by Horizon Therapeutics, an Ireland-based pharmaceutical company. It was the very first medication approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat Thyroid Eye Disease. However, very alarming questions have been raised about the safety of the drug. During the clinical trials, some patients noted hearing damage as a side effect. However, more recent independent studies have suggested that hearing problems are far more common than initially reported. According to an academic paper cited by the Endocrine Society, as many as 65% of people who take Tepezza may develop hearing problems, including permanent hearing loss and tinnitus.
Medical Problems Associated With Tepezza Use
There are some significant problems associated with Tepezza. It is a notoriously expensive drug that has shown some efficacy in treating and managing Thyroid Eye Disease (TED). However, the medical side effects can be significant. There are some potential side effects and risks that patients and their families should be aware of, including:
- Hearing Loss: One potential side effect of Tepezza is hearing loss, which is a condition that can result in partial or complete loss of hearing. Sadly, the side effects can be permanent. While initially believed to be rather uncommon, new studies are showing that this terrible side effect is happening to many patients who use Tepezza.
- Tinnitus: Another all-too-common side effect is tinnitus. This is a condition that causes ringing, buzzing, or other sounds in the ears. Like hearing loss, tinnitus was reported as a rather uncommon side effect, but, unfortunately, there are far more Tepezza-related tinnitus cases than the company expected.
- Headache: Tepezza may cause headaches in some people. It is a relatively common side effect that can occur in up to 15 percent of patients taking Tepezza. The headaches can range from mild to severe, and patients may need medication to manage the symptoms.
- Nausea and Vomiting: Nausea and vomiting is another side effect linked to Tepezza. Once again, it occurs in around 15 percent of people who take this medication. Patients experiencing nausea should consult with their doctor.
A Key Study Links Tepezza to Hearing Loss and Tinnitus
As noted previously, hearing issues were a known side effect of Tepezza. However, the studies that have recently come out have shown that both hearing loss and tinnitus are far more common problems that were disclosed to patients. A 2021 academic study available from the National Library of Medicine found that Tepezza-induced hearing damage was both more common and more persistent than was believed. A 2022 study from Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery found that the drug is causally associated with “irreversible hearing loss ranging from mild to severe.”
Tepezza Hearing Loss: Common Symptoms
Any indication of hearing loss or tinnitus that develops after taking Tepezza requires immediate medical attention. The issue could get even worse. Common symptoms of Tepezza-related hearing damages may include:
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus);
- Difficulty hearing high-pitched sounds;
- Muffled or distorted hearing;
- Unusual sensitivity to loud noises; and
- Difficulty understanding speech, especially in noisy environments.
Why File a Tepezza Claim: Justice, Accountability, and Financial Compensation
If you have suffered hearing loss as a result of taking Tepezza, you may be considering filing a claim against the manufacturer of the drug. Filing a hearing loss lawsuit can provide several benefits. To start, filing a Tepezza claim can provide a path to justice. By taking legal action against the company responsible for the defective drug, you can hold them accountable for the harm they have caused.
More importantly, Tepezza claim can provide financial compensation. Hearing loss can be a serious and life-changing condition that can result in significant medical expenses, lost income, and other financial losses. A successful lawsuit can help to provide compensation for these losses and help you move forward with your life. A Florida attorney with experience handling defective medication claims can help you take action to maximize your financial compensation.
Tepezza Lawsuits: Explained
Tepezza lawsuits are complicated. If you or your loved one developed hearing damage after taking the prescription drug, it is normal to have a lot of questions. Here are answers to four of the most frequently asked questions about Tepezza’s safety risks and the Tepezza hearing loss lawsuits:
- How Does Tepezza Cause Hearing Loss? Tepezza has been linked to hearing loss—ranging from mild to severe. The suspected mechanism of hearing loss is that the drug inhibits insulin-like growth factor-1 as well as the insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor pathway.
- Who is the Tepezza Lawsuit Against? For the most part, Tepezza lawsuits for hearing damage are being filed by an Irish multinational pharmaceutical company called Horizon Therapeutics.
- Who Qualifies to File a Tepezza Lawsuit? Did you suffer hearing damage after being prescribed and taking Tepezza? Whether it was full hearing loss, reduced hearing, or tinnitus, you may be qualified to bring a lawsuit. Get professional legal help.
- How Do You File a Tepezza Lawsuit? You should consult with an experienced attorney. Tepezza lawsuits are still in the early stages. One of the first claims was filed in 2022. This may end up as complex class action litigation. A lawyer will protect your rights.
An Overview of Damages You May Be Able to Claim in a Tepezza Lawsuit
Through a Tepezza lawsuit, you can seek compensation for economic and non-economic damages. Do not rely on a large pharmaceutical company or an insurance company to look out for your best interests. An experienced Florida product liability lawyer will protect your rights. You may be eligible to recover financial damages for:
- Medical bills;
- Rehabilitative care;
- Treatments with hearing specialists;
- Medications and medical devices (hearing aids);
- Loss of wages and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental anguish; and
- Permanent disability/disfigurement (hearing damage).
How much is a Tepezza hearing loss or Tepezza tinnitus lawsuit worth? The answer depends on a wide range of different factors. It is crucial that you have a strong legal advocate on your side. As these defective medication claims are still in the early stages, your attorney will help you ensure that you are in the best position to maximize your compensation.
Know the Timeline: Tepezza Lawsuits
The timeline for a defective medication lawsuit can vary depending on a number of factors, including the complexity of the case, the number of plaintiffs involved, and the court system in which the case is filed. In general, these cases can take several months or even years to resolve. It is important to work with an experienced attorney who can guide you through the process and help you to understand what to expect at each stage. Be proactive: Consult with an experienced Florida defective medication lawyer as soon as possible.
Can I Afford to Hire a Lawyer for My Tepezza Case in Florida?
Yes. You can always afford to hire a lawyer for your Tepezza case in Florida. We handle these cases on a contingency fee basis—meaning that you do not pay any upfront fees or costs. Instead, we receive a percentage of the compensation you are awarded if we win your case. This allows you to pursue your legal rights without worrying about the burden of paying legal fees. We understand the challenges that Tepezza patients face and are committed to helping them seek justice
Know the Steps in a Tepezza Case Evaluation
Do you have a valid case against Horizon Therapeutics or any other party for hearing damage caused by Tepezza? It is a complex question that requires guidance from an experienced lawyer. At Bernheim Kelley Battista, LLC, we provide free, no-obligation case evaluations to victims and families. Here are key things that we will look at in your case evaluation:
- When you were prescribed and started taking Tepezza;
- The extent to which your hearing gets worse after taking the drug;
- What risks were not disclosed to you (and how potential side effects were discussed); and
- The total extent of damages (economic and intangible) that you sustained.
Contact Our Florida Tepezza Lawsuit Attorneys Today
Dangerous and defective medication claims are complicated—and Tepezza lawsuits are certainly no exception. At Bernheim Kelley Battista, LLC, we fight tirelessly to ensure that our clients are able to get justice, accountability, and the maximum available financial compensation.
At Bernheim Kelley Battista, LLC, our defective medication lawyers are experienced advocates for victims and families. If you or a loved one suffered hearing loss or developed tinnitus after using Tepezza, we are here as a legal resource. Give us a call now or connect with us online to arrange your no-cost, no-obligation case review. From our law offices in Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Fort Myers, Starke, and Jacksonville, we handle Tepezza lawsuits throughout the State of Florida.