All road accidents are bad in one way or another since there can be physical and financial consequences for everyone involved, but a hit and run accident is especially egregious – regardless of how much damage was caused. The reason is that it feels like a violation of public trust and respect because the guilty driver took off without accepting their responsibility for the accident. There is also a greater problem with financial compensation. Normally when a driver causes an accident, the victim is able to get compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company, but if the driver flees the scene, then what does the victim do next?
The answer is that they get in touch with a car accident attorney to help them with their case. An attorney will know what steps to take in a hit and run accident case. That is why Fort Lauderdale residents who were involved in a hit and run accident should get in touch with us. At Bernheim, Kelley, Battista, and Bliss, LLC, we have a team of attorneys with decades of experience helping victims of all kinds of car accidents including hit and runs. A hit and run accident can create a lot of uncertainty and anxiety, which is why we are dedicated to helping the victims of such accidents. So get in touch with us to learn how we can help you.
What To Do After a Hit and Run Accident
The aftermath of a hit and run accident can be confusing and overwhelming at first, but once you regain your composure, there are steps you can take that can help your case.
- Gather as much information as you can about the fleeing driver that can help the authorities find them. This can include the color, make, and model of the vehicle as well as its license plate. You should also note the direction in which the vehicle was headed. Any distinctive details like tinted windows or decals can help as well. You might not be able to get all of that information but any little bit helps.
- Call the police – the sooner you call the better. Not only will the details be fresher in your mind, but they have a better chance of catching the driver since they would not have gone too far.
- Take pictures of the accident scene and the damage done to your vehicle. One of the tricky things about a hit and run accident is proving that another driver was at fault for the accident when they are not around. Pictures of the accident scene and the damage done to your vehicle can be analyzed by experts to prove that someone else was responsible for causing the accident.
- Get medical treatment. Even if you did not suffer any serious injuries you should get checked out anyway. Sometimes injuries can take a while before they manifest and you want to make sure that you receive the proper treatment, and that there is documentation to support your injury claims.
- Call your insurance company and tell them about the accident. Unless the hit and run driver is caught, you will not be able to get compensation from their insurance company, so you will have to use yours. Call them as early as possible and tell them about what happened.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. You might end up in a dispute with your insurance company when you file a claim against them. An attorney can help smooth things over, and unlike the insurance company, they will be acting in your interest.
How an Attorney Can Help You With a Hit and Run Accident
Since you cannot file a claim with the insurance company of a driver who is not there, you will have to get compensation from your own insurance company. However, they may be reluctant to provide it; the reason is that they will want proof that an accident actually occurred and that you were not responsible for it. An attorney can help to gather the necessary evidence that proves the hit and run driver was responsible for the accident. If the insurance company denies your claim or offers a settlement that is too low, then an attorney can help you to file a lawsuit against the company.
Contact Us If You Have Been in a Hit and Run Accident in Fort Lauderdale
A hit and run accident can leave anyone reeling and uncertain of what to do next. That is why they need the help of an attorney to sort things out for them and figure out how they will get the compensation they need to cover their losses. At Bernheim, Kelley, Battista, and Bliss, LLC, we have the experience needed to guide victims of hit and run drivers through this difficult period in their lives. So if you have been in a hit and run accident and do not know what to do next, contact us so that we can help you.